Saturday 15 April 2017

Finally finished and sent it off! EVALUATION

After five months of working - over 1000 drawings and three drafts later, I have finally completed the book! I have created a PDF of it and can confidently say I have become a lot more versed in using InDesign.  I have sent a PDF of it off to print 15 copies , from publishing websites Lulu and Blurb. I chose 2 softbacks from Lulu and then 13 other books from Blurb. The only issue is that when I uploaded the PDF, Blurb said it was 'magazine' format  so I'm worried it will arrive and look like a cheap magazine. But for the price I'm paying I'm hoping that won't be the case.  It wouldn't let me change it to softcover or hardcover at all so I don't know what It will look like when it arrives. It will take 7-11 days to arrive so I'm hoping it will be printed and in the post by the end of the week, so It gets here in time for the deadline. I will definitely have it completed for the degree show. 15 people want a copy - I'm making sure the people who donated to my GOFUNDME page get one each, as well as friends who want one, and social services, who are trying to follow up a lead and get it somewhere. Also sending one off to the red Dragon centre in Wales (they already have the black and white copy so I'll send them the colour copy)

I went over it a good four or five times before sending it off- tweaking bits and making sure the writing wasn't near the edge of the page.

There's not much else to say- again IT IS A DRAFT and if it gets anywhere with social services or the dragon centre, I would redo it. But the story is sweet enough, even if the artwork could be improved more.


Overall, I feel This has taught me a lot about the process story-makers go through:  It'd nowhere near as simple as I thought it would be. And I'm not even near finished to a final completed copy. It's made me re-evaluate how I work: not to rush through things - or go with my first idea. What I've learnt is that doing thumbnails is quite important and working progressively is the best way to go. I also noticed that I've stopped rushing so much. There was many times during this book where I wanted to stop doing it - or cut corners, and I made sure I didn't: and my work's much better for it! Yes there's a page in the book that I'm aware is blurry - but I tried sharpening the image, resizing it - everything and it's not helping at all.  If I were to redo It - I would also change the colour of Ben's dressing gown, as it may send subtle 'autistic vibes' which I do not wish to come from Ben. Charlie's the autistic one - not Ben, so I don't want people linking the red to him having autism.

I will supply photos of the books when they arrive, and evaluations of their printing. Until then - I'm pretty much finished with this.  My aim was to create a children's book/ graphic novel aimed at mental health awareness - autism in particular, and teaching tolerance and respect for those with mental health illness's.  I feel I met this challenge absolutely and it is backed up by my last project's research into mental health and coping strategies. I am very happy I chose this project: although it's been a big challenge (I was advised to pick only part of a book and not a whole book) but I persevered and feel I exceeded my expectations that I had at the start of this project.  I am so excited to see it all together at the degree show and see what the books look like!!!

I am also very pleased that my characters have become actual memorable characters  - they stick with you because of their charm - they're not just generic any old characters whom you forget straight away.  I am sad that their design has gotten simpler over the project - they were quite impressive and regal at the start, whereas now they're more child friendly and 'cute'. If I did this again- there is a strong possibility that I would keep their original design (not that I don't like them now - it's just I feel they had more of a 'wow' factor when they were designed more impressively.)

http://www.blurb.co.uk/bookstore/invited/6938712/2c8f6d61050f2cff9204c1ad09c312e309c93025

No comments:

Post a Comment